- Hole’s Human Anatomy and Physiology Study Partner: Complete textbook (McGraw Hill) with relevant news articles, links, animations, powerpoints, study guides, quizzes, and additional support resources. Registration is not required.
- The Virtual Body: Basic information about the body.
- Anatomy and Physiology Links from Prince George’s Community College: Alex Imholtz, Associate Professor of Biology, Prince George’s Community College Homepage contains notes, diagrams, interactive games, and helpful links for Anatomy, Physiology, and Histology.
- Histology-World: Contains histology games, histology entertainment, and histology educational materials.
- Society for Developmental Biology Education Resources
- Histology Slides: Normal Histology, Utah University; MedPics UCSD; Histology Atlas, University of Wisconsin.
STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF ORGANS AND TISSUES INVOLVED IN
Digestion and Nutrition
- Digestive System: Overview of human digestive system.
Digestive Tract (Includes liver, gall bladder, and pancreas)
- Digestive System Anatomy: Powerpoint with in depth medical description and diagrams of the digestive system.
- The Digestive System: Comparison of invertebrate and vertebrate digestive system with diagrams and links.
- Gas in the Digestive System: Discussion of the role of foods in the health of the digestive system.
- Gastrointestinal Overview
GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY RESOURCE CENTER: DISEASES AND CONDITIONS
- Kimball Biology: The Human Gastrointestinal Tract: General discussion of the GI tract.
- Pancreas Function: Simple overview of the pancreas provided by The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Research Center, Johns Hopkins University.
- The Gall Bladder: Provides diagrams and description of function, diseases, and treatments related to the gall bladder.
- The Liver: Provides diagrams and description of function, diseases, and treatments related to the liver.
- The Pancreas: Provides diagrams and description of function, diseases, and treatments related to the pancreas.
- Your Digestive System and How It Works: NIH discussion of digestive process and its regulation.
MECHANICAL AND CHEMICAL BREAKDOWN OF FOOD
- Seer Training Model funded by the National Cancer Institute: Description and comparison of mechanical and chemical digestion.
- Biology Online: Digestion and Absorption of Food: In depth information on digestion, digestive organs, foods, and absorption of foods.
FOOD COMPONENTS (WATER, MINERALS, VITAMINS, PROTEINS, CARBOHYDRATES, AND FATS)
- Merck Manual: Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats Description of each group and nutrient value.
- Diets: Overview: Discussion of various diets, diet fads, and role of water, minerals, and the major nutrients in the diet.
- USDA: Major Nutrients Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats: Links and pdfs about major nutrients.
- Water: How Much Should You Drink Everyday? Mayo Clinic discusses the role water plays in a healthy diet in respect to how active you are and where you live.
- The Science of Breathing: University of New Mexico: Description of breathing and forms of breathing..
- Mechanism of Breathing: Animation of breathing.
- Human Respiration: Open course notes; includes photos, images, and diagrams.
- Images of Respiration: Please check before using as some are not copyright free.
- McGraw Hill Cellular Respiration Animation: Note: it takes a significant amount to download, but has an excellent animation.
- How Lungs Function YouTube.: Series of animations showing how the healthy lung functions and examples of the way lungs function with various health issues.
- Description and comparison of the respiratory organs in man and other vertebrates and invertebrates.
- Bing Images on Circulation: Please check before using images, as some are not copyright free.
- Animal Circulatory Systems: Circulatory system descriptions for several animals.
BLOOD: BLOOD PLASMA, RED BLOOD CELLS, WHITE BLOOD CELLS, BLOOD PLATELETS
- Blood Components: Description of major components of blood.
- Blood: Basic description of components and information about blood donations with links and diagrams provided by American Red Cross.
- Platelets: Description of structure and function of platelets and associated disorders.
Circulation: ARTERIES, CAPILLARIES, VEINS, HEART
- Circulation and Gas Exchange: Powerpoint slides on vertebrate systems.
- Heart and Circulation: Description with animations of blood flow and vessels.
- How the Heart Works: National Heart and Lung Institute page on the heart.
- Lymph System: Description and animations of the lymph system and tissues
- Lymphatic System and Immunity: Description of the lymph system in relation to immunity and disease
- Understanding the Lymphatic System: Description of the lymph system with links and diagrams
- Functions and Diseases of the Lymphatic Sytem: Description of the lymph system funtions, diseases, and facts.
STRUCTURE OF THE RENAL SYSTEM
- Insulin and glucose regulation: Understanding the processes behind the regulation of blood glucose.
- Kidneys and How They Work: NIH Basics on kidney function.
- Osmoregulation and Excretion summary
- Renal Function: Understanding how the kidney works.
- The Formation of Urine: Detailed video of urine formation.
- The Mammalian Kidney: Animations and tutorials of urine production and kidney function.
Regulation (neural and hormonal)
- Nervous System: General Basic readings for an educated public.
- Biology Online: Nervous System: Tutorials on the nervous system.
- Nervous System: Description of the central nervous system, peripheral nervous system, divisions of the nervous system, and brain structures.
- Kimball: The Organization of the Nervous System: Tutorial and animations of the nervous system.
Peripheral Nervous System (PNS)
- What is the Peripheral Nervous System? Description of the peripheral nervous system.
Central Nervous System (CNS)
- General Information: Interactive 3-D Brain anatomy and functions.
- What is the Central Nervous System? General description of the centrral nervous system. General Information.
- Anatomy of the Spinal Cord and How It Works. YouTube description and animation of spinal cord anatomy and function.
- Brain: YouTube of the anatomy of the brain.
Autonomic Nervous System (ANS)
- General Information
- What is the Autonomic Nervous System? Description of the autonomic nervous system.
- Kimball’s Sympathetic Nervous System: Diagrams, descriptions, and animations of the sympathetic nervous system.
- Kimball’s Parasympathetic Nervous System: Diagrams, descriptions, and animations of the sympathetic nervous system.
- Maintenance of Membrane Potential
- Resting Membrane Potential
- Action Potential: Harvard YouTube
- Paterllar Reflex: Arizona State University Powerpoint explaining the patellar reflex.
- General Information
- Ears: Overview of anatomy and function of the ear.
- Pituitary: YouTube overview of the pituitary gland and how it works.
- Pituitary Gland Adam: Animation of the function of the pituitary gland.
- Thyroid gland: NCBI detailed information on the thyroid gland anatomy, function, hormone actions, clinical cases and more.
- Islets of Langerhans: Complete information on form, function, and related health issues.
- Adrenal medulla: Complete informatinon on form function, and related health issues.
- General Description of the adrenal glands: Explanation of glucocorticoids, which help you deal with long-term stress, and androgens, which influence male sexual characteristics secreted by the adrenal cortex.
Reproduction and Development
- The Human Reproductive System: Overview of human reproduction.
- Elephant Reproductive System: Diagrams, images, and description of elephant male and female reproductive systems and birth.
- Trilobite Ontogeny: Overview of trilobite development.
- Marine Invertebrate Zoology: Reproduction and Development: Powerpoint of various forms of reproduction in marine invertebrates.
Structure and function of male and female reproductive systems
- National Cancer Institute SEER Training Module on Male Reproductive System: Provides thorough description of the male reproductive system to include diagrams.
- Avian Male Reproductive System University of Kentucky: Description and comparison of avian and mammalian male reproductive systems.
- National Cancer Institute SEER Training Module of Female Reproductive System: Provides thorough description of the female reproductive system to included diagrams.
Ovulation and menstrual cycle
- Ovulation and menstrual cycle: BBC Description and diagrams of the menstrual cycle and ovulation.
- Human Fertilization: Description of human fertilization.
- Vertebrate Fertilization and Development: Distinguishes among viviparity, oviparity, and ovoviviparity. Describes the advantages of internal fertilization.
- Development of Sea Urchins
- Development of Chickens
- Formation of Neural Tube (referenced in slides)
- Differentiation of Neural Tube (referenced in slides)
- The Neural Crest
- Gamete Fusion and the Prevention of Polyspermy
Formation of ectoderm, mesoderm, endoderm
- Embryonic Membranes: Germ Layers from The EmbryoProject Encyclopedia.
- Formation of Germ Layers: YouTube animation of germ layer formation.
- Introduction to Immunology: This problem set is designed to introduce basic concepts about the immune system.
- Basic introduction to ELISA: Introduction to ELISA activity to include animations, data sets, test problems.
- Introduction to viral structure: General description of virus structure and effects.
- Antigens from Microbiology and Immunity Online: Full description of antigens.
- Antigens Presentation, Kimball Biology Online: Full description of antigens with animations and external links.
- Introduction to antibodies
- Antibodies: ThermoFisher Scientific: Full description of antibody classes, interactions, and general diagram of antibody.
- What Is an Antibody? Site includes animation and full descriptions of antibodies.